For more than 2 years I have been cautioning patients regarding edibles. The time of onset is delayed as compared with tinctures or smoking/inhaling and the Cannabinoid dosage is often “higher” than expected.
So, frequently a very intense and sedating “indica” type feeling overcomes the patient for many, many hours – i.e. way too stoned. A 91 year old patient of mine manages her pain strictly with edibles. She came in recently for a renewal and during the visit, I asked her how she was using her edibles so successfully. She told me she nibbles on her edible often over a two day period. After speaking with her further and then discussing the same issue with a number of patients I have come up with an “Edibles for Dummies” suggestion list:
1. Regardless of how you are told how strong the edible is, it is generally best to ignore what is said.
2. Take a very small morsel or nibble – dime size or a bit less at a time when you have the entire day available…just in case.
3. Wait 90 minutes and see how you are feeling.
4. If you are feeling medicated or probably medicated, do nothing more and wait another hour and re-evaluate.
5. If you feel nothing, take 2 nibbles and wait a couple of more hours.
6. Continue a similar version of the above until you begin to learn what works best for you.
I would appreciate feedback on this one??