How To Eat Edibles

For more than 2 years I have been cautioning patients regarding edibles. The time of onset is delayed as compared with tinctures or smoking/inhaling and the Cannabinoid dosage is often “higher” :) than expected.

So, frequently a very intense and sedating “indica” type feeling overcomes the patient for many, many hours – i.e. way too stoned. A 91 year old patient of mine manages her pain strictly with edibles. She came in recently for a renewal and during the visit, I asked her how she was using her edibles so successfully. She told me she nibbles on her edible often over a two day period. After speaking with her further and then discussing the same issue with a number of patients I have come up with an “Edibles for Dummies” suggestion list:

1. Regardless of how you are told how strong the edible is, it is generally best to ignore what is said.

2. Take a very small morsel or nibble – dime size or a bit less at a time when you have the entire day available…just in case.

3. Wait 90 minutes and see how you are feeling.

4. If you are feeling medicated or probably medicated, do nothing more and wait another hour and re-evaluate.

5. If you feel nothing, take 2 nibbles and wait a couple of more hours.

6. Continue a similar version of the above until you begin to learn what works best for you.

I would appreciate feedback on this one??

-- Download How To Eat Edibles as PDF --

This entry was posted in medical marijuana and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How To Eat Edibles

1. I could not agree more! Edibles are by far the most common cause of THC toxicity. Folks don’t like to hear the word toxicity used with our beloved plant, but anyone who has ever had THC toxicity DOES understand it.

There are many reasons for this “over medicating” with THC.
    1. The dosing on the packaging is awful, so you rarely have a good way to adjust your personal dose
    2. The rate of absorption of THC and all cannabinoids is quite variable from day to day and person to person
    3. the rate of absorption is different depending upon whether your stomach is full or empty; faster on empty
    4. The % of absorption is more complete WITH fat and LESS complete with fat
    5. Perhaps the single most important variable is that when cannabinoids are taken orally and absorbed through the stomach, they must go through the liver in order to enter the bloodstream. In the liver, an “OH” group is added to the THC or CBD or nearly all cannabinoids. For THC, this makes it hang around or “stick” to the receptor for up to five times longer!! This is a very, very long time

As a side note, although CBD does not directly compete for the CB-1 or “Cannabinoid” receptor in the brain, it ACTS as if it does. So, when you or a friend is a bit over the top with THC, just load them up on 10 or 20 mg of sublingual or even smoked CBD; it will bring them way down, pretty quickly.

2. Cathy Smith says:

Edibles are so dangerous! I am a cancer patient and someone gave me an edible chocolate bar. It said 100mg. I didn’t understand what that meant. I only ate two rectangles or 1/32 or 1/16 Th. (not sure of my fractions) but it was small. Turns out I should have only eaten 1/2 of a square. I ate 4 times the amount.
    I ate it on Monday night and it took me till 3pm on Thursday to be normal again. I hallucinated, I was stupid stoned, I couldn’t hold my body up, I had bad GI cramping.

They should put instructions on the labels. This is a serious situation because I didn’t feel anything for a couple hours and I was lying down. Only when I got up to get a drink of water, did I feel it. Also, it didn’t help my pain.

3. Kal says:

Regarding consuming a strain with a higher CBD content; has CBD been proven to be absorbed in the GI tract? Because I thought I remember coming across a study that said THC-A is not, THC is, and CBD is not. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence to the contrary?

4. I agree with you except I would caution about using a :) with regard to overmedicating with edibles. Many people end up in the ER’s around the world.

It may be that the edibles are at times “yummy”, but the main reason people become toxic is that the edibles are NOT DOSED!!!

5. Joy Maker says:

As an edible maker and consumer, I am finding this post very helpful. Indeed, starting with smaller doses than you think you’ll need is a good advice as well as waiting 90 min. before ingesting more.

I would like to add that, from my own experience, eating a cracker or fruit (or a meal) after about 90 min. will usually kick in the edible and get the THC running through the blood stream.

Indeed, many get over dosed with edibles since they are usually so yummy that it makes it hard to stop eating them… :-)

6. Well, that would be great IF they were able to relax. The most common side effect of cannabis, BY FAR is THC based agitation. Every person has their own THC level of sensitivity and EVERYONE will ultimately feel the agitation and paranoia.

The plant was always “MEANT” to have significant CBD (Cannabidiol) in it. As this was accidentally bred out of the plant by discarding less stony crops, most CBD was lost. If even a small amount of CBD is included in the edible, the anxiety/paranoia/psychosis just does not occur.

7. James says:

Are people afraid of getting too high? Seriously now, just relax and watch some videos.

8. John Say says:

If you were to eat an entire edible how can you make it break down faster in your stomach and have the THC get into your blood stream faster. Any tips?

9. Thank you very much. :)

10. After reading some of the comments I wonder whether they in reality read the blog posts and reports before leaving your 2 cents or maybe they just look at the title of the entryand type the very first thought that comes to mind. regardless, it is nice to browse through clever commentary from time to time instead of the exact same, old blog vomit which i generally notice on the internet

11. I always enjoy reading spot on articles by an individual who is obviously up to snuff on their chosen subject. I’ll be following this post with much interest. Keep up the great work, see you next time

12. Good points. Thanks so much for your excellent comments. I entirely agree. Allan

13. Pumpkin Eater says:

Your suggestions are quite sensible. I know many people who will not use edibles at all, because of bad experiences they’ve had with accidental over-dosing. The hardest part is the “Wait 90 minutes” and “wait another hour” — people taking drugs for a medical condition generally want it to go away sooner rather than later.

A further suggestion is that edible products from different makers — or even different batches from the same maker — often vary in potency. This argues for re-doing the initial “nibbling” to establish the strength of each batch. And also argues for buying edibles in large quantities, so that once you have figured out the proper dosage for a given batch, you can then quickly and accurately dose yourself for a week or a month, instead of for a few days.