HEMP VERSION 2

Anyone familiar with my views on the cannabis plant knows that I am a

“whole plant guy” and for the most part have found hemp/industrial hemp to be a poor source of medication.  Undeniably, hemp is a wonderful source of fiber, and now with the Farm Bill in effect, we will be growing a lot of industrial hemp to be used to make everything from paper to buildings.   

There is no doubt in my mind that the current version of industrial hemp has tremendous value.  The theory makes sense; going back a few thousand years, hemp and cannabis plants were always found on the spectrum of industrial fiber and medicine.

Hopefully, the value of cannabis in whole plant form will be recognized and reserved for medication, but it’s not so simple anymore.  A group at UC Davis was able to cross a CBD rich whole plant cannabis plant with a hemp plant, yielding a very low THC cannabis plant.  Additionally, from what I’ve heard, it can be grown very economically as well.

In my practice, about 20% of my patients use primarily CBD, leaving 80% requiring THC and more.  There are other cannabinoids that are more rare that are emerging on the marketplace, such as THCV, which I suppose could be crossed with a Version 2 hemp plant.  Since by law, there can be no more than 0.3% THC in these new Version 2 medically laden hemp plants, the majority of my patients will still need whole plant cannabis for optimal medicinal benefits. 

So, does this new hybrid change my mind regarding the value of hemp in medicine?  Not yet.  I have been meeting with folks in the industry for nearly one year and I have never been able to receive a “bud” of this new hemp CBD. 

I am eagerly awaiting samples of the Version 2 hemp plant and intend to extract them, measure the terpenes and report back.

 

If anyone out there actually has a few buds, as it is legal, please let me know if you’d like to make some available to me for testing and research.

Author
Allan Frankel, MD Dr Allan Frankel is one of the few physicians in the US who truly understands Cannabis as a medicine. All treatments suggested have been well studied. Every patient seen by Dr Frankel is given a personally created Treatment Plan created with the patient's specific issues defined. Plant medicine requires "tuning" of the dosing. Dr Frankel works with his patients thru a messaging portal. The use of this portal, allows quick and simple follow up contact with Dr Frankel. Patients are not charged for these messages, as this is how Dr Frankel has learned what he has learned. Follow up appointments in person or by phone/video are also available when needed

You Might Also Enjoy...

WHILE CONSIDERING CHEMOTHERAPY…

Dr Frankel talks about chemotherapy, it's issues/side effects, and how cannabis can alleviate some of those issues, prevent others, and help enhance the effectiveness of the chemo. He uses a few patient cases to illustrate his approach.

EPIDIOLEX VERSUS WHOLE PLANT CANNABIS CBD

Dr Frankel has long been a proponent of using whole plant, cannabis derived CBD products and a recent case in which a patient had less effective results when switching to a prescribed CBD isolate further cemented his stance on what works best for patients

CAN CANNABIS CAUSE ARTERIAL DAMAGE?

Dr Frankel gives his thoughts and counterpoints on the potential issue of cannabis causing arterial damage after some articles were recently circulating about this subject.

POTENTIAL BENEFITS OF THC-V

Dr Frankel talks about his experience using THC-V for different medical issues, the initial results he has seen and his hope for more research to be done.