HOW SHOULD WE CLASSIFY GROUPINGS OF CBD:THC RATIOS

The numerous strains of CBD rich plants that I have seen over the past four years, fall into three categories:

1. Those ratios of >20:1 CBD:THC

2. Those ratios of 1:1, 1.5:1 or 2:1

So, in nature, we ALMOST always see either the “low ratios” or the “high ratios”. There are rare exceptions where you see a 10:1 CBD strain, but not commonly at all.

I believe that we see these two various ranges because CBD is a recessive gene. If you have one copy present, you get 1:1 or 2:1 and if you have 2 genes for CBD, you get >20:1. I have successfully crossed two 25:1 plants, one male and one female, and have shown that clearly nearly 95% of the offspring are 25:1 and the other 5% is a rare 2:1; so, every plant is rich CBD.

As more people cross CBD with existing THC rich strains, we will see more and more strains with ratios of THC > CBD. These are already around are great options for new extracts for pain and neurological patients.

So, how should we begin to classify these three clinically important groups of genetics? I am not certain, but I know whatever grouping we select will be obsolete sooner than we hope.

How about agreeing to something like this:

1. The plant is tested, after being ground into teabag size bits and five samples are pulled from the mix. These are mixed together and one gram is sent for testing. This should be a good representative.

2. The moisture should be under 10% and preferably documented

3. The “Weight” of THC and CBD in mg/gram should be tested

4. How about we agree to naming by:

THC mg/gram:CBD mg/gram.

So, for example, a plant with 130 mg/gram CBD (or 13%) and 7 mg/gram THC, would be:

130:7

Now, I would add the number of weeks of flowering. For anyone who grows, getting the same yield in an indic a, with eight weeks of flowering is a LOT better than 11 weeks. We also need Sativa Strains, but right now we need more short flowering plants as shortages are the number one issue.

So, for a recent new strain we are working on, it would be:

138:7:8

About a 20:1 ratio, with 13.8% CBD and 0.7% THC and eight weeks of flowering.

Thoughts?

Author
Allan Frankel, MD Dr Allan Frankel is one of the few physicians in the US who truly understands Cannabis as a medicine. All treatments suggested have been well studied. Every patient seen by Dr Frankel is given a personally created Treatment Plan created with the patient's specific issues defined. Plant medicine requires "tuning" of the dosing. Dr Frankel works with his patients thru a messaging portal. The use of this portal, allows quick and simple follow up contact with Dr Frankel. Patients are not charged for these messages, as this is how Dr Frankel has learned what he has learned. Follow up appointments in person or by phone/video are also available when needed

You Might Also Enjoy...

Rationing Health Care

With COVID, we have never been more aware of critical shortages of masks, ventilators, hospital beds, etc., all leading to rationing. In this BLOG, Dr Frankel, examines how rationing in our medical care is a much bigger problem than just face masks.

Cannabis May Prevent COVID-19 Infections

Early studies in both Israel and Canada show findings consistent with CBD's effect on COVID-19's ability to take hold in the lungs or the gastrointestinal tract. If the receptors are reduced, the viral infection and pulmonary toxicity should be reduced.